Audiology and Speech Language Pathology is a specialized branch of Health Sciences which studies speech and hearing disorders. Practitioners of this branch of Science treat those who have communication and hearing problem. There is a growing demand for speech-language pathologist as the awareness of speech and auditory disorders has increased. As a result, a career as a speech-language pathologist has a great potential for the students who want to pursue the program.
There are many institutes in India, both government and private, which provides degree in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology. The course teaches students with techniques and methods that are used in diagnosing and treating patients with hearing and speech disorders. If you are an aspiring student who want to pursue the course and are looking for some good colleges for admission, the following tips will help you in your pursuit :
• Depending on your career goal, you must search for a college which covers your area of study and degree type. You can either choose from an associate degree, a bachelor degree or a master degree program. A master degree program is generally required to professionally practice as a speech therapist.
• Search for college that offers practical hands-on experience in professional environment such as schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing facilities etc.
• Choose a college which has a good case load because students benefit from case load as it provides them the opportunity to collaborate with teachers and other professionals and learn from them.
• The college should also have technologically strong infrastructure with state of the art instruments.
• A college which has a research department with not only domestic agencies but also with international agencies is an added advantage.
Top Audiology and Speech Language Pathology colleges :
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
- Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- Manipal University, Bangalore
- Maharashtra University Of Health Sciences, Nashik
- Ayush and health science university, Raipur
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
Audiology and Speech Language Pathologist can find jobs in various sectors such as health care establishments, schools, nursing care facilities, government agencies etc. They also work closely with hearing aid manufacturers, practicing physicians and lecturers in special schools, clinical supervisor, Speech Pathology Reader etc. They can also find jobs in reputed NGOs and work as master trainers in institution and medical colleges.
The career prospects of a speech and audio pathologist is varied and diverse as it has emerged as one of the best career paths with most job security. Because of the high demand of pathologist, they can find jobs according to their desired facility, location and employment flexibility. The remuneration of a speech-language pathologist may vary based on the educational background, years of experience, location and work setting.
In the coming years, the job opportunities of professional speech-language pathologist are expected to increase. In India, there is a high demand for these professionals as at present there are very few speech-language pathologists available. Aspiring students who want to pursue a career in this field can expect an excellent scope of growth and opportunities.