Sleep is a physiological process that ensures the full functioning of the brain and all body systems. It is essential to maintain a balanced emotional and physical state. Insomnia is a sleep disorder associated with its short duration or poor quality, which negatively affects the state of health during wakefulness.
Insomnia manifests itself not only in the difficulty of going to sleep but also in the form of frequent sudden awakenings, a long inability to fall asleep after them, and waking up too early. One way or another, sleep time gets reduced, irritability, and a feeling of constant fatigue appears.
Today we will talk about how to help yourself fall asleep, sleep long, and sound. We will also guide about the possibility of eliminating the factors that influenced the appearance of insomnia and how to get enough sleep. If your insomnia is not associated with a serious illness, we will help you solve it, but on the contrary, we will show you how you can reduce its appearance.
Sleep Duration And Timing
It is impossible to determine exactly up to a minute how much sleep each person needs. This indicator depends on the individual characteristics of a person and many factors that change from day to day. Basically, according to experts, the duration of sleep should vary from 7 to 10 hours.
The most valuable sleep for health lasts from 20-22 hours to 5-6 in the morning. And the brain rests best until midnight; that is, these few hours are the most valuable.
The habit of not getting enough sleep eventually leads to insomnia. Here are some factors that may cause insomnia.
1. Alcohol Addiction
Though alcohol has a sedative effect that generates sleepiness and a feeling of relaxation in a person; however, excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages leads to reduced sleep time as well as poor sleep quality. This is just one of many side-effects caused due to alcohol abuse.
If this is not enough reason to quit alcohol, you should know that it is also life-threatening. More than 500 people died of substance abuse in San Diego city alone in 2013. The more prevalent this problem will be, the more health consequences people will encounter.
Thus, it is advisable to quit alcohol addiction and live a healthy life. You can even find several options for your alcohol rehabilitation in San Diego, which are readily available to help. Once you recover, you may also notice a positive change in your sleeping routine and duration.
Another major cause of insomnia is stress, which can eventually turn into chronic insomnia. Any problem regarding personal life, office or finances can ruin your mind’s peace and night and would keep you from falling asleep. If you do not cope with stress, it is going to ruin your well-being.
Some healthy ways to fight stress are practicing yoga or meditation, go for shopping, or spending quality time with a loved one. These minor things will really change your life for the better. However, if these methods do not help you out, you need to consult a specialist.
Apart from above mentioned major causes of stress, a person can have insomnia due to other reasons too. Some of them are:
- The presence of complex diseases such as cancer, diabetes mellitus, or bronchial asthma
- Hormonal diseases
- Unfavorable external conditions
- Violation of sleep hygiene
- Breathing disorders during sleep
- Painful sensations
- Night shift work
Tips For Normalizing Sleep
No matter what the cause of insomnia may be, you can fight it by following these tips:
- Move more during the day, be physically active. In order to want to rest, you need to be really tired
- Observe a specific daily routine
- Do not overeat before bed, do not go to bed too hungry
- Get rid of harmful substances, e.g., alcohol, vape, and cigarettes
- Take 15 minutes before bed to relax.
- See your doctor in time to treat any disease. This will help improve both physical health and relieve obsessive negative thoughts.
- Create comfortable conditions before bed: temperature, humidity in the bedroom, absence of extraneous noise.
- Understand the causes of insomnia, try to eliminate them.
Things To Avoid Before Bedtime
Here are some things you must avoid before bedtime to improve your sleep quality.
- Eliminate daytime sleep, especially in the late afternoon.
- Do not consume products containing caffeine: coffee, chocolate, tea, or cola. The last use of such products should be at least 6 hours before going to bed
- Do not smoke before bed and do not drink alcohol, as this stimulates the activity of the nervous system
- Avoid heavy workouts before bed. To keep fit, replace them with outdoor walks and exercise no later than 5 hours before bed
- Do not succumb to stress; learn to abstract
- Do not pollute the room with negative emotions
Danger Of Insomnia
Prolonged sleeplessness takes away from a person the time intended for rest and recovery of the nervous system. This can lead to the appearance of absent-mindedness, the inability to concentrate, and a decrease in a working capacity.
If sleep is inadequate, gradual depletion of the nervous system is possible. Long-term sleep problems are a common cause of many mental illnesses. Due to systematic continuous insomnia, one may experience such symptoms as hallucinations, loss of consciousness.
In this case, you should immediately contact a specialist. But this is an extreme case; it is better not to bring it to this and normalize the sleep process in a natural way. You can do this through the normalization of the psychological and physical state.
Grounding products are designed to help you access the Earth’s healing power in places where making direct contact with it is not convenient. Earthing products facilitate connection to the Earth’s natural energy by providing a conductive surface between your body and Earth’s electrical frequencies. Common grounding items include bed sheets, mats, patches, and insoles. Grounded bed sheets can be placed underneath your mattress or on top as a fitted sheet.
Sleep disturbances are usually treated with medication, with a course of antidepressants prescribed by a doctor, or with folk remedies. For example, pumpkin broth. To prepare such a decoction, you need 300 g of peeled and grated pumpkin pulp. Put it in a saucepan, pour 1.25 liters of cold water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let it brew for 1 hour. Take ½ cup 1 hour before bedtime. For children from three years old, take no more than 50 g.
To understand about Luxury Alcoholic Drinks industry, Read here