If you’ve made the decision to straighten your teeth, you’ve probably looked at your options online and have come across both Invisalign and metal braces as options.
Invisalign is a fairly modern solution to crooked, crowded, or spaced teeth, but metal braces are still a popular choice. There are big differences between the two, and pros and cons to each.
So before you decide what you are going to choose, read on as we take a look at some of the differences to help you make a choice that suits you.
What Is Invisalign?
If you want to have your teeth aligned but want to make it as discreet a process as possible, Invisalign is an excellent choice.
Invisalign treatment consists of sets of clear aligners that are molded specifically to your teeth. There is no one-size-fits-all with Invisalign, and that’s a huge plus because you know your results will be as accurate as possible. Let’s take a look at some pros and cons of invisible braces.
Aside from the fact that they are clear, there are some other advantages to Invisalign:
- the treatment is quick compared to other methods of alignment
- unlike fixed treatments, Invisalign can be removed
- they are easy to clean and maintain
There are a few drawbacks to Invisalign aligners:
- price – Invisalign is more expensive than other methods
- the fact you can remove them means you can lose them
- they may not be suitable for all issues
Now that you know a little about Invisalign let’s take a look at metal braces.
What Are Metal Braces?
Metal braces are the traditional method for straightening teeth. While the scary-looking cages around the user’s jaw are largely a thing of the past, the technology is the same.
Your orthodontist will attach metal brackets to your teeth and link them with wires of varying tightness. These wires are tightened regularly to ensure consistent movement of the teeth. But what are the pros and cons of traditional braces?
If you’re considering getting metal braces instead of Invisalign, here’s how you’ll benefit:
- metal braces are generally cheaper than invisible aligners
- you don’t have to worry about losing them—they’re permanently attached for the duration of treatment
- effective even in extreme cases
Of course, there are a few disadvantages to consider:
- metal braces can be difficult to clean, and food can get trapped
- they are less comfortable than Invisalign and can cause blisters in the mouth
- you may experience a metallic taste in your mouth
Which Is Best For You?
Braces are more commonly seen on younger people, so if you’re an adult and concerned about looking out of place, Invisalign is a great solution. If you’re in Birmingham, MI, speak to this local orthodontist about your options.
If budget is a concern, metal braces could save you money, and they are just as effective at aligning teeth. So if you’re willing to put up with the slightly less comfortable experience, they may be the best option.
Will You Get Metal Braces or Invisalign?
Whether the treatment is for you or your child, you’ll know your situation and needs best. Metal braces and Invisalign are both incredibly effective at correcting your smile—but remember, your smile is beautiful no matter how you feel about it!
If you enjoyed this article, feel free to check out more like it on the Health section of the website.